Locomotion - National
Railway Museum opened
in Shildon in September 2004 and links with the existing
Timothy Hackworth Museum. The new Museum houses in
excess of 60 exhibits and for the first three years
admission will be free. The Museum provides an opportunity
to view the history of the railways and amongst the
exhibits on show will be Sans Pareil - the pioneering
locomotive built by Hackworth in Shildon in 1829.’
of the town’s most interesting religious buildings
are the Churches of St. John and All Saints.
St. John’s Parish Church,
at the end of Main Street was opened on Sunday, 29th June,
1834. On the foundation stone, laid during 1833, is the
following inscription, now almost obliterated: ‘Mine house shall
be called an house of prayer’.
The Church when completed,
was a Gothic Structure, consisting of chancel, nave and
a square tower containing two bells. The re-building of
the Church. was completed in 1882, when amongst other changes,
a new organ was installed.
Church surrounded by trees, consists of nave, two aisles,
chancel and handsome west tower, an addition completed
in 1902. Of stone in the Early English manner, the tower
has two sets of Lancet windows and is capped by a short
outside the parish church, at the end of Main Street is
the War Memorial, a stone plinth surmounted by a model
soldier and with plaques bearing the names of Shildon men
who fell in two world wars and in the Korean campaign.
The unveiling and Dedication took place on Sunday, 2nd
The Church of All Saints, off
Redworth Road on the Town’s southern edge, dates
from 1869, consists of nave and chancel and is also in
the Early English style. The chancel has an apsidal east
end. The Church was enlarged in 1925 when three vestries
County Durham is a County of contrasts.
Its eastern half is frankly industrial, with grim pitheads
and giant works and chimneys proclaiming the fact. But to the
west lies mile upon mile of unspoilt country, characterised
by far-spreading heathery commons, Shildon lies at the edge
of the green belt. Although the town is industrial in character,
a journey of only a few miles brings some of England's finest
hill scenery within range. Teesdale, Weardale and the Derwent
Valley offer some of the highest, wildest and finest scenery
in England with attractive North Pennine villages like St.
Stanhope, Wolsingham, Middleton in Teesdale and Romaldkirk.
There are more waterfalls on the River Tees and its tributaries
than any other river in England and just to the west of
Middleton in Teesdale, High Force is the most majestic. Moreover,
only twenty miles or so to the east is the Durham Coast, with
several attractive resorts within comparatively easy reach.
A pleasant and typically Northern market
town, built of grey stone and almost on the County border. Interesting
Church; ruins of historical twelfth century Norman castle
on the cliff above the river Tees, reached from the Market
Place and, on the edge of the town, the splendid Bowes
Museum, a french style chateau set in attractive gardens, Built
in the late nineteenth century to display the works of art
collected by John Bowes and his wife, this museum is one of
the finest in the County.
Binchester Roman Fort
for the remains, of the Roman fort and village of Vinovia. The house of
the Fort Commander includes the best example of a Roman military
bath-suite in Britain. Finds from the excavation are displayed
in the Bowes Museum.
old market town, the older part of the town had a large market place
that leads to the gates of the splendid palace of the Bishops
of Durham, Auckland Castle with its magnificent private Chapel
built in 1665.
The nearest ‘big
town’ to Shildon and a major industrial centre but with pleasant
facets to its nature that include a fine shopping centre and market;
beautiful parish church and some of the most colourful and well cared
for parks in the County. Also of interest are several museums, Darlington
Museum, devoted to local social and natural history; and Darlington
Railway Museum, with several historic engines Locomotionand Derwent
and rolling stock.
County town and a very fine city that was prominent
in history as a ‘buffer’ against Scottish raids and as
a stronghold of the princely Palatine Bishops. The older
part of the city is set on a great loop of the Wear which here
is in a deep chasm spanned by several bridges. The
old streets are full of interest, and the magnificent Norman Cathedral
is regarded as one of the finest in the world. The
twelfth century north doorway is dominated by a brass sanctuary
knocker, an evil head with a giant ring in its mouth. Also of interest
are several museums, D.L.I. Museum Arts Centre which
has a display of the history and traditions of the County Regiment
from 1758 to 1968, whilst the Durham University Oriental
Museum contains collections of oriental art of international
importance covering all cultures and periods of the
East from Ancient Egypt through India, Tibet and China to Japan.